the floating librarian

the floating librarian

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Post-script

Almost six months since we debarked, and although the memories aren't as crisp and sharp, I sure do miss the voyage, the sea, and my new friends. It was a whirlwind coming back, sharing brief summaries with various constituencies---colleagues, friends, family---while mindfully watching for the eye-glazing that signaled they'd had enough. I did a presentation at Duke Libraries that resulted in requests for two articles, an online interview with the webzine of the Korean National Library, and a panel discussion at ALA's annual conference. Not a bad return on the investment!

SAS Fall14 voyagers continue to post to Facebook, email, and get together for reunions, eagerly seeking the company of those who truly understand and bonded over the experience. I have been able to see some of my friends twice in Charlottesville, and feel so jealous when I read of bigger gatherings in other cities.

fond memories of whale-watching across the Atlantic



Faculty singers gathered and talked so much we ran out of time to sing

Max bar mitzvahed



met up with my student asst Stephen and his family


If a picture is worth a thousand words, I have six million words saved on my hard drive at home. I have tried to severely edit them into a highlights reel that I hope will give you a feel for the experience. 
I used open-access music for posting here, but to really get the feel imagine it starting with the Talking Heads--"You may ask yourself, how did I get here?! And the days go by, water flowing underground..." and finishing with Emmylou Harris's "When I Go Sailing 'Round the Room..."
SAS Fall 2014 highlights reel (updated link 2023)

No comments:

Post a Comment