the floating librarian

the floating librarian

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Lifeboat Exercise


Today I spent an in-port day on the ship, and saw a curious sight. These strange-looking little orange boats were circling around the MV Explorer. They were our lifeboats, being taken out for a test drive!



I didn't realize how much manual labor is involved in lifting them back on the ship. There are motorized hoists of course but the crew must sidle up to the hooks, grab them, secure and tighten them—both the orange hooks for the hoists and the other hooks that presumably hold the boats in place once they’re up.


My assigned lifeboat had a little trouble maneuvering alongside the hooks, but she made it back safely. I also got to watch #5 rise up next to my cabin window. I could see inside and straight through to the port of Civitavecchia. This is the view of the top of the lifeboat as she rose.





A crew member told me they were practicing for a drill to be held in Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment